Diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts should be a crucial part of any organization’s recruiting and hiring process. However, it’s easy for DEI webpages with boilerplate phrases like “equal opportunity employer” to be written off as disingenuous if an organization doesn’t put in real work to ensure DEI initiatives are fruitful.
It’s not enough to state it; you must walk the walk to prove you are actively searching for a diverse workforce. If you’re looking to improve diversity throughout the entire hiring process, the very first undertaking you should strive for is an excellent DEI statement.
Commonly, DEI efforts are all too often reduced to equal opportunity employer statements made up of dry legal language instead of why the organization values and prioritizes diversity.
A DEI statement that is thoughtful, inspiring, or powerful is your first opportunity to attract the diverse candidates you’re looking for. Here are some excellent examples of DEI statements that do more than go through the motions. These organizations have taken the time to develop their own unique messaging that demonstrates a sincere commitment to welcoming candidates from all backgrounds.
Use these examples as inspiration, but make sure that what you come up with is original and reflects the mindset and policies that set your organization apart when it comes to cultivating an inclusive workforce.
5 Great Examples of DEI Statements
- “King County Library System has a vision of a world where knowledge allows diverse communities to prosper and grow. … The King County Library System values diverse perspectives, life experiences, and differences. KCLS encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities and veterans.” –King County Library System, Washington
- “Committed to Diversity - We foster a workforce that’s just as diverse as our community. … Our team is empathetic and understanding to our residents’ needs and backgrounds.” –County of San Mateo, California
- “Everyone brings unique ideas and talents to work — and we're committed to making sure yours get appreciated and recognized. ... Our mission and values go beyond traditional measures of economic success to include a focus on advancing social and racial equity. We prioritize diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) for three key reasons: our influence, historical inequities, and stronger results.” –Port of Portland, Oregon
- “Respect is one of our five City Values and we are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We celebrate and support our differences across all spectrums, including but not limited to ethnicity, gender, age, disability and sexuality. Through our focus on Racial Equity, our employee benefits, and the many programs resources we offer our staff, we continually strive to weave respect for one another into the fabric of our organization.” –City of Boulder, Colorado
- “The Minnesota Judicial Branch (MJB) is committed to providing fair and equal access to justice. If you share this same commitment, desire a meaningful career serving the public, and want the opportunity to make a difference for your community, consider a career with us. We celebrate and are committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, and actively seek and encourage applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and characteristics.” –Minnesota Judicial Branch
What makes these examples of excellent DEI statements varies -- obviously, a powerful statement about the inclusion of all types of diverse candidates, whether by race or ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc. is something that should be built into yours in a convincing manner.
However, taking it a step further and tying in how those differences help the agency run better or actively meet its goals is also important. The DEI statement should speak to those who hold similar ideals when it comes not only to equity, but also the overall mission of the organization.
Want to see even more great DEI statement examples and get further tips on how to refine your own? Download our eBook, 9 Inspiring Diversity & Inclusion Statements That Speak Volumes.